≡ Menu

Healthy Obsession: Chia Seeds

Have you tried chia seeds? They are my latest healthy obsession. I’ve been aware of chia seeds for years, but only in the curious form of a sprouting chia pet. Turns out chia seeds are edible and nutritious.
My first kitchen experiment was making chia seed gel. I stirred 1 tablespoon chia seeds into 1/2 cup water. After 10 minutes the mixture thickened and formed a gel. (The chia gel can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for several days.)

Chia Seed Gel

Next I added a spoonful of the chia gel to sparkling juice and gave it a taste. The chewy texture of the gelled seeds reminded me of bubble tea, but with teeny tiny bubbles. (The champagne of bubble tea!) Overall, I found my first experience with chia seeds to be odd, interesting and kinda addictive. I’d love to hear how you’re using chia seeds.

Sparkling Juice with Chia Seed Gel

{ 7 comments… add one }
  • Austin May 16, 2012, 11:26 pm

I like to mix chia seeds in my smoothies. You can mix them in a lot of juices, but I don’t really like them in OJ.

It’s fun to make the chia gel but add a bit of lemon juice and some sugar. Yummy.

• Nathalie May 2, 2013, 8:58 am

Water lemon chia seeds
    I drink that all day long

• Nathalie May 2, 2013, 8:59 am

Do you think it would work in making some sort of pudding?

• Jen May 2, 2013, 7:48 pm

Yes! Chia pudding is great. Here’s how I make Chia Pudding. Thanks, Jen

• Jessica January 15, 2014, 12:05 pm

I’ve been drinking apple & pineapple juice with the chia seeds for a couple days. Love the texture! Reminds me of tapioca in boba teas 🙂

• Jen January 16, 2014, 5:38 pm

Me too! I love the teeny tiny chewy seeds.
    Jen

• Cecilia Ager November 4, 2014, 8:02 am

I’ve used flaxseed for years but am new to Chia seed, so I’ve started to experiment a bit with substituting it in my recipes where I’ve been using flaxseed. So far it’s been great. It’s better in my smoothies if I drink immediately, & they are perfect in my morning oatmeal. My doctor wants me to get quite a large amount of protein for breakfast, so I usually eat oatmeal with a tbsp of flaxseed, some walnuts, sprinkled with cinnamon, a little honey, fresh blueberries, & unsweetened almond milk. This has been my favorite swap. The chia seed has really bulked up my oatmeal & I get all the benefits of the added protein too