≑ Menu

Whole Wheat Zucchini Nut Muffins

Zucchini has a way of piling up at the end of summer. Baking zucchini muffins and zucchini bread is a great (and tasty) way to make use of all that squash. Here’s a healthy zucchini nut muffin recipe made with whole wheat flour instead of white flour and yogurt in place of part of the oil. For a flavor boost, add a handful of golden raisins, dried cranberries or miniature chocolate chips.

Whole Wheat Zucchini Nut Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar or sucanat
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
3 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
1 cup finely shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place paper baking cups in 12 regular size (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups. Spray paper baking cups lightly with cooking spray.

Place flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl. Stir to combine; set aside.

Place egg, sugar, yogurt, oil, zucchini and vanilla in a medium bowl. Mix well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in nuts. Divide batter among muffin cups.

Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until browned and toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 12 muffins

Storage Tip: Individually wrap and freeze muffins up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature or warm in a microwave before eating.

Recipe Links:
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Vegan Zucchini Bread

Product Link:
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking

{ 12 comments… add one }
  • Kristi October 8, 2010, 10:27 am

MMMMMMM. These were tasty. I was expecting them to be tough with 100% WW flour, but not at all. I threw in a few mini chocolate chips; definitely a good addition. Thanks for the recipe!

• Rachel July 5, 2011, 7:05 pm

Wow! We are gluten and dairy free so I substituted garbanzo bean flour for WW flour and coconut milk for the yogurt and coconut oil for the canola oil, and they were AMAZING! Love them and so thankful for a recipe for something that we can make that doesn’t leave us feeling ill afterwards! My husband liked them so much that he requested them for his birthday. πŸ™‚ Thanks for a great recipe!

• Rita August 4, 2011, 9:07 pm

The whole wheat zucchini muffins sound great. I was just wondering if you already had nutrition information for this recipe, calories, fat, etc… Thanks:)

• Jen August 6, 2011, 8:05 am

Rita- Hope you like the recipe. I don’t have nutrition analysis done for the recipes I develop, so do not know the nutritional information.
    Thanks, Jen

• Jolene August 10, 2011, 11:04 am

Made these muffins today – I used chocolate chips instead of nuts and they’re delicious! Nice and moist, and you can’t taste the zucchini at all. Thanks for the recipe πŸ™‚

• Susan August 20, 2011, 12:42 pm

Hi Rita,
    I added up the nutritional information for most the ingredients (I did not include the nuts, baking power & soda, nor the spices), and this is what I came up with PER muffin (recipe yields 12 muffins total):
    Calories-128
    Fat-4
    Carbs-21
    Protein-3

The nutritional information including 1/2 c walnuts per muffin:
    Calories-161
    Fat-7
    Carbs-22
    Protein-4

This is an estimate and I did not double check my numbers, however this sounds reasonable to me considering the ingredients. πŸ™‚

• Jen August 21, 2011, 10:42 am

Hi Susan- Thanks for sharing your nutritional estimate. Is there a certain software program or website you used to get the numbers? I bet others would be interested in that info.
    Thanks,
    Jen

• Susan August 23, 2011, 11:06 am

I usually just look up the nutritional information online and adjust the numbers according to the amount the recipe requires. Fatsecret, nutritiondata and livestrong are a few of the websites that usually list nutritional information for many foods and ingredients. I just make a list and calculate the totals for the recipe, and divide those totals into the number of servings the recipe contains.
    Best,
    Susan.

• Lorena December 17, 2011, 12:21 am

absolutely loved this recipe!

• Tara July 2, 2012, 2:24 am

Can it be made with Xylitol? a natural plant based sweetner for diabetics?

• Jen July 2, 2012, 8:04 am

Hi Tara- I do not have experience baking with xylitol. Sugar provides more than sweetness to a baked good…sugar also contributes to browning, tenderness and volume. If you do try the recipe with xylitol, please share your substitutions and the result. Thanks, Jen

• Julie November 10, 2012, 10:36 am

Hi, thank you for this great recipe. Good option to eat zucchinis.