≡ Menu

Easy Oatmeal Apple Crisp

It’s peak apple season, making it the perfect time to bake healthy apple desserts. Here’s a delicious and easy apple crisp recipe made with the goodness of rolled oats, whole wheat flour, almonds and fresh apples. The apples can be cubed or sliced, depending on your tastes. For more texture and nutrition, use cubed apples with the peel intact. (Choose a cooking apple with a thin skin.) For a more tender apple crisp, peel and slice the apples.

For directions how to make vegan apple crisp see the tip at the bottom of the recipe.

Easy Oatmeal Apple Crisp
Apple Filling:
6 cups cubed or sliced tart cooking apples
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Crisp Topping:
3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar or sucanat
1/4 cup chopped almonds or pecans
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup butter, melted

For apple filling, in large bowl combine apples and maple syrup. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; stir to coat. Place apple mixture in 2-quart square baking dish.

For topping, in medium bowl combine oats, flour, brown sugar, almonds, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon and ginger. Add melted butter; stir until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over apples.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes until apples are tender and topping is browned. Serve warm or cooled.

Makes 6 servings

Tip: To make vegan apple crisp, use 1/4 cup vegan vegetable oil spread in place of the butter. Another vegan option is to use 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil and 1 tablespoon soymilk in place of the butter.

Check out my new Vegan Apple Crisp with a Gluten-Free option here.
Vegan Oatmeal Apple Crisp
More easy fruit crisp recipes:
Easy Vegan Apple Crisp from Kingfield Kitchen
Easy Berry Oatmeal Crisp from Kingfield Kitchen
Fresh Blueberry Crisp from Kingfield Kitchen

Like what you see? Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for more recipes and cooking tips. You can also subscribe to Kingfield Kitchen by email, my new food blog with all new easy, healthy recipes.

{ 12 comments… add one }
  • Jen C. March 30, 2011, 10:33 pm

Hi, thanks so much for the whole wheat apple crisp recipe. I loved it!!!

• Lori M April 2, 2012, 9:37 am

This was absolutely wonderful!! Thanks for sharing!

• Shannon October 31, 2012, 12:27 pm

Hi, I have just a few mountain apples left and was just wondering if steel cut oats could be used? I have those on hand at the moment and not rolled oats.

• Jen October 31, 2012, 6:19 pm

Hi Shannon- I have only used rolled oats to make apple crisp. Steel cut oats will likely result in a tougher, chewier topping. If you make the recipe using steel cut oats, please let us know how it turns out.
    Thanks,
    Jen

• Sherri December 23, 2012, 2:10 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving this past year as a healthy alternative to our traditional apple pie. It was a huge hit. My daughter just asked me to share the recipe as she is now going to make it for Christmas for her guests 😀 Thanks so much!

• Ann-Marie August 24, 2013, 8:50 pm

Hi, I have made this twice and it is now my goto recipe for apple crisp. Delicious, fast, and more nutritious than many other versions. Thanks!

• Jen August 24, 2013, 9:40 pm

Hi Ann-Marie,
    So glad you like the recipe. There’s nothing better than warm apple crisp! Thanks for commenting.
    Jen

• Katherine October 8, 2013, 3:26 pm

SO GOOD! i did the vegan version just because i felt like using my coconut oil for some healthy fat. i didn’t have any almonds so i threw in some crushed walnuts instead. i used 4 small red delicious apples. will be making this again! thank you!

• Laenalou December 6, 2013, 5:12 pm

Thanks for posting this fantabulous recipe!! I’ve made it once using pecans & coconut oil; am now making it again using almonds. This recipe gives me faith that clean eating can be satisfying to both body & mind!

• Jen July 31, 2014, 10:34 am

Just made this using coconut sugar instead of the brown sugar, and I used a mixture of chopped pecans and sliced almonds. Delish. Thanks for the recipe; it’s a keeper!

• Jan September 30, 2014, 3:39 pm

Making now!!

• Monica salafia November 28, 2014, 11:07 am

Made this for Thanksgiving dessert and it came out great. My family loved it. My dad said it was sweet but felt like he was eating real food ( by just a sugary dessert!).
    I used 5 Cortland apples and 1 green apple. I baked it at 375 for 35+ minutes. Added cranberries. The apples were soft but still had a good bite.
    Future Registered Dietitian -approved& highly recommended!